Monday, April 4, 2011

Chapter 7: Mexican Revolution

Ah, back to cooking..seems like forever since I posted about a new recipe. Last week I said I was gonna get into soup and/or salad today, but you know what? I just didn't feel like that. To be honest, soup is a strange beast in my opinion. I prefer my nutrition to be either a solid or a liquid, but soup is like some bizarre hybrid, and my unsophisticated palette can't handle such oddities. A liquid with chunks of solids floating in it? Blasphemy. I suppose it's inevitable that I'll get to that stuff eventually, but I don't have to like it! Anyway, today's menu was something significantly more fun: good old fashioned soft tacos!

This one wasn't actually in my book, I just happened to see a commercial for tacos yesterday and decided that was gonna be next. I know it's not a complicated thing to make, but you must remember, without explicit instructions I'm utterly useless in the kitchen...but I was lucky enough to have Jenn give me a hand, so it's all good!

So, off to Sobey's I went in search of ingredients. It was pretty straightforward for the most part(I bought significantly more ground beef than I needed, but that's ok) until I went looking for lettuce. You see, I was under the impression that lettuce is, well, lettuce. How wrong I was...there's an absurd amount of different types of lettuce, each one confusing me more than the last. Ok, ok, so there was actually only like 3...but that's still 3 times as many as I anticipated. Naturally, I wasn't lucky enough to pick the right one, either. I found out later that I should've got "iceberg lettuce", and I bought...uh, I forget, but it wasn't that one. Thankfully, she already had the iceberg stuff in her fridge. Lesson learned.

I also found out that I slice up tomatoes far slower than any reasonably intelligent person should because I insist on making sure every little chunk is the same size; I guess that isn't as important as I had imagined, but hey, I'm a perfectionist...or something. Another thing I learned today is that it's pretty easy to cook ground beef. Granted, Jenn actually did most of that, but it didn't LOOK difficult...in the end, this was my favorite non-breakfast recipe so far, I must say. Fun to make, easy, and tasty! Definitely something that will work it's way into my regular rotation.

Oh, and I forgot to take a picture again. Use your imagination...or go back and look at the space clown picture in Chapter 2 again.

No comments:

Post a Comment