Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chapter 8: Two for One Special

I know, I know, I haven't been updating regularly for the past couple of weeks. I realize that this is traumatizing for some of you...and I take full responsibility for that. After all, I spoiled you, my dear readers, with multiple updates every week and now that you're addicted I cruelly cut back on the dosage and may have forced some of you into withdrawal symptoms. So, to make up for my transgressions, I offer a double shot of kitchen-y goodness today: Stir fry, and spaghetti. Now, let's get this show on the road...

It appears that much of the later chapters of my precious book focus on large scale recipes and stuff like various sauces and whatnot. That's cool, and one of these days I'm gonna make some of these fancy sauces, but for now I could just as easily buy them for a few bucks at Sobey's. I have enough trouble making the main courses, so trying to multitask and actually make the sauce at the same time is a recipe for disaster. Yes, that pun was intentional...you're welcome.

Anyway, I asked Jenn for a suggestion for something fun we could make together, and she decided on beef stir fry. I'm especially thankful that for this one, she did the shopping, which saved me the humiliation of buying the wrong stuff. Again. Once we got the ball rolling in the kitchen, she got started with the beef strips, which seemed to be pretty much the same procedure as the ground beef in the taco recipe, and I started cutting up peppers. If you've kept up, you know that I'm very, very slow at cutting veggies, and the peppers are no exception. You also likely know that I have to be told explicitly what to do, or I will inevitably do it wrong...again, the peppers are no exception. I figured I was suppose to cut them into tiny chunks like I did(verrry slooooowly) with the tomatoes and had already done the red pepper like that before she thankfully saw me and put me on the right track for the green one. I need to stop assuming things about cooking...if I assume something is right, YOU can safely assume I'm wrong. I also feel compelled to note that there was a yellow pepper as well, but she was quite insistent on not using that one for some reason. One of these days I'm gonna say screw it, and take a big bite out of a yellow pepper just to see why I shouldn't. Skipping the fluff and getting to the end, I was quite impressed with the stir fry. I didn't eat much of the beef and mostly stuck to the veggies, but still, it was really good, especially the unpronounceable sauce! Why have I ignored all of this stuff for so long??

Next up is something I've actually eaten before: spaghetti with garlic bread...one of the rare times where I know what I'm getting into. It's also shockingly simple to prepare...you just throw the stuff in a pot of hot water!! Oh, and as Jenn and I found out from the "John Tesh radio show", always get cold water from the tap when you're cooking, not hot water, because hot water can take particles off the inside of the pipes and it can get into the food. Knowledge is power! I also LOVE Jenn's method for figuring out if the spaghetti is finished: just get a piece and throw it at the wall!! Seriously! If it sticks, it's done. That is hilarious and awesome. And not just normal awesome, but "Old Spice guy" awesome. I'm tempted to try it with other types of food, but something tells me it wouldn't work quite as well, not to mention it would likely be considered a social faux pas. Curse these societal norms.. Oh, and the moral of the story is, spaghetti is awesome. Go throw some at the wall and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment