Friday, April 8, 2011

A retrospective

Well, it's been about a month since I bought my book, so I figured I'd take a look at myself and see how I've progressed. To be honest, it seems like ages ago since I stumbled my way through the basic scrambled eggs recipe, literally having never cooked anything that didn't go straight into the oven/microwave as is. If you recall, it took me a minute to even remember what a whisk was! The kitchen was like a foreign country to me...and not one of the good foreign countries, either. One of the countries where the hotel clerks carry assault rifles, where you're just as likely to be mugged by the military as you are by street punks, and where smiling in public breaks at least four laws. You know the ones. Thankfully, that's no longer the case.

Slowly, but surely, I've become quite a bit more comfortable in the kitchen. Granted, I've got a LONG way to go, and nobody in full control of their mental faculties should ask me to prepare a three course meal, but if you want some French toast and bacon for breakfast, or some tacos for dinner, I can probably accommodate that. It might not sound like much, but to anybody who knows me, this is nothing short of a miracle. What's even more incredible, is that I'm actually truly enjoying this stuff! I mean, right from the start, I was determined to at least learn how to cook basic stuff, but I wasn't sure if I'd actually enjoy what I made...so it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the culinary world is quite a wonderful place, after all. Naturally, I won't like everything, and so far I've picked recipes that I think I have a better chance at liking, but still, you know what I mean.

You may also have noticed I haven't updated as often the past couple of weeks. Part of the reason is that I'm not *quite* as hilariously useless anymore, and a big part of why I write this is the humor. Another reason is that I've been having an absolute blast cooking together with Jenn recently, and in those situations, I don't have the opportunity to screw up as bad, thankfully!

Just wait, though! Remember that damn salmon from Chapter 2? While it was *sort* of a success, I admitted that I cheated my way through it, and just baked it rather than sauteed, plus the whole bone situation baffled me at the time. I know I said I wouldn't revisit recipes, but this will be a special case. Get ready, fish...it's soon gonna be time for a rematch...

No comments:

Post a Comment