Friday, April 1, 2011

Oriental adventure

This update is a wee bit different from the others thus far, as it's not about anything I actually cooked. Still, it's about food, and it was a fun experience, so I figured what the hell, I'll write about it. Before any of you write angry comments about how I'm breaking the rules of my own blog..know this: I know where you live!! Ok, that's a lie, I can't back that up. For some of you, at least.

Anyway, yesterday evening Jenn was in the mood for Chinese food, and there's a little spot not far from her place that she really wanted to try. I'm all about expanding my horizons and whatnot now, so I was more than happy to go and give it a shot. First thing we noticed when we got there was that our waitress seemed far too young to be working there. I'm talking like 10 years old, 12 tops. I mean, I remember the big scandal at the 2008 Olympics about the Chinese putting 12 year old kids in the gymnastics events and saying they were 16, but I had no idea it spread to waitresses too...unless that's gonna be an Olympic event next year in London. But I digress...

Jenn instantly found what she wanted on the menu while I stumbled through it, with a look on my face that likely resembled the look the dumbest kid in your high school physics class had on his face during the final exam. Seriously, I didn't recognize anything except rice. Luckily for me, she was helpful enough to make a suggestion: Chow mein with chicken fried rice and an egg roll. Sounds good, let's go with that. Oh, and as my "security blanket", I ordered some french fries from their Canadian menu.

A few minutes later our half-pint(but very pleasant) waitress brought us our egg rolls, and we cut into them preparing to find some sort of egg and vegetable combination. To our surprise, it was nothing remotely resembling that, and was instead some sort of mystery meat. We never did figure out what it was, and eventually assumed it used to be a turtle...if that's the case, turtle tastes pretty good. When our main course arrived, I was shocked by how much there was, and started to dig in. I still don't know what exactly chow mein is, but I certainly wouldn't mind giving it another go some time; and the chicken fried rice was amazing. I actually regret ordering the fries because I couldn't even finish half of them after all that(also cause they were way too expensive...). If there's one positive thing about never having experienced all this stuff until you're nearly 30, it's that now I have the ability to adequately put into words how eye-opening all of this has been.

So, next week, it'll be back to your regularly scheduled programming, where I'll likely be doing some sort of soup, or salad, or both. Until then, dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment