Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Real Conversation. Seriously.

Thankfully, my precious book doesn't simply throw me from one recipe to another, because that would probably make me cry. No, the authors are kind enough to realize that the type of person who is reading a book designed for dummies is likely just that, a dummy. So, for the next couple of days, I'm reading up on what exactly the difference is between a skillet and a saute pan, stuff like that. I also couldn't help but notice that there are way too many damn type of pots and pans, I mean, do I REALLY need a "sauteuse evasee"? I'm sure you could come back at me and say "Well, there are too many damn teams in the NHL, do you really need 30?", but you'd be wrong, very wrong, and you should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that. Anyway, apparently I don't really need a "sauteuse evasee", because a sauce pan will do quite well until I actually know what I'm doing.

So, while it'll be a day or two until I get to another recipe, I did skip ahead to find out what will be(most likely) my next challenge, and it's looking like salmon is at the front of the line. Why am I telling you now, you might ask? Well, it's the source of the conversation mentioned in the title of this entry. Yesterday evening, Jenn and I were taking the puppy out for a little walk(such a cute pup, by the way!), when the topic of my blog/cooking experiment came up and I happened to say that I think salmon is up next. Here is what followed:

Me: So, uh...vegetables go well with salmon..right?
Jenn: *hysterical laughter*
Me: Is...is that a yes...or a no?
Jenn: *continued laughter*
Me: ...
Jenn: ...yes.
Me: Ah...
Jenn: You know I'll never let you forget this, right?
Me: ...yes.

That brief exchange will likely give you an idea of just how woefully unprepared I am for the rigors of cooking. Not that it's going to stop me, mind you. I've accepted a challenge, and by god, I'm gonna see it through! And YOU are gonna have a front row seat to laugh at me the whole way through!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I imagine it's something that will be brought up rather frequently over time...haha. :p

    ReplyDelete